NooBaa, a software-defined-storage (SDS) company, announced the availability its frictionless storage solution. NooBaa software allows enterprises with storage capacity challenges to create a secure, high-performance storage solution across any compute resource available, including heterogeneous, cloud, and even shared hosts. Data placement across heterogeneous capacity resources is optimized through a novel control plane architecture using machine learning technologies.
The NooBaa Community Edition is free to download and install from www.noobaa.com. The Community Edition supports unlimited provisioned capacity and a maximum of 20TB of files stored.
Until now, customers deploying scale-out storage faced daunting implementation issues, including high costs, lengthy evaluation and deployment times, vendor lock-in, complex administration features, and configuration rigidity. In contrast, NooBaa storage software supports unprecedented infrastructure flexibility. NooBaa customers can utilize resources that are heterogeneous, shared, widely distributed, and adapt to changing cloud strategies by blending public and private resources. NooBaa delivers this experience in a software-only solution that deploys in under 15-minutes, greatly reducing the time and effort required for deploying storage. This frictionless experience also applies to ongoing management of the archive, where the ability to seamlessly take advantage of different hardware technologies eliminates lock-in, technology risk, and administrative cost.
Unstructured data already consumes most of the capacity in an enterprise datacenter, and the emerging workloads like Splunk, Hadoop, and IOT are accelerating the problem. To reduce the cost and risk of acquiring storage, we really need to break the traditional rigidity and lock-in imposed by traditional systems,” says Yuval Dimnik Co-founder and CEO of NooBaa. “We realized that the way to support any capacity resource located anywhere on the network, was to approach it as an orchestration problem, using big data concepts like machine learning to manage data placement. This is what we’ve delivered.”
NooBaa software delivers the low-TCO attributes of public-cloud storage in a locally managed service. NooBaa’s unique architecture dramatically reduces capex, opex, setup headaches, and lifecycle costs compared to existing file storage.
Over the last decade we’ve seen evolutionary developments in things like object storage, but we really haven’t seen anything that substantially changes the customer experience,” says Henry Baltazar, Research Director at 451 Research. “For customers to reduce their costs in large-scale archival, hardware independence, hybrid flexibility, and reducing administrative tasks over the life of the archive are where the money is going to be saved.”
Key benefits of NooBaa software include:
- First storage software to support unlimited resource heterogeneity, including shared host resources
- First storage software using machine learning to optimize for resilience, performance, economics, and locality
- Fully-hybrid architecture supporting any blending of public and private capacity resources
- Non-disruptively accommodates introduction of new hardware, media, and networking technologies; and autonomously takes advantage of new capabilities
- Installation in 15-minutes, in many cases with zero up-front cost.
Key features of NooBaa software include:
- Support for any virtual or physical Linux or Windows storage resource
- Machine learning optimization for resilience, performance, and economics
- Enterprise-class capabilities for global dedupe, compression, encryption, audit, and DR
- Installation in 15-minutes, using VMware ESX to host the NooBaa Core control-plane
- Access through an Amazon S3-compatible interface.
Sign up for the free insideBIGDATA newsletter.